Well, a few days ago I stumbled upon the Oprah/Eckhart Tolle collaboration on You Tube and, I must confess, I was mesmerized. Tolle is amazing by himself, but he’s small fish compared to someone like Oprah, who literally has millions of viewers and, because of her celebrity status, can reach so many parts of the world. I sat, riveted, through the entire first hour of their web special and it felt awesometastic. Not only are they reaching out to millions of people, trying to spread the message that peace is inside us, just waiting to be discovered, but they are also unabashedly discussing topics that usually make people turn away or change the subject – religion, for instance! Oprah actually said that, even though she has been raised a hard core Baptist, she doesn’t believe for a second that her religion is the only religion or the only way of thinking. Kudos to her for making so many people sit up and take notice that it’s okay to have your own beliefs about religion, but you have to realize that you don’t have to become fanatical about it.
So, in celebration of Oprah and Eckhart’s efforts to bring peace to the planet, I thought I’d do a quicky Gratitude and Attitude because I have a lot to be grateful for these days.
I always start with the Blah…
This month’s Attitude goes out to:
- Obviously, the factory farming industry. Shame on the farmers who raise their meat animals in grossly inhumane conditions. Who treat animals as though they are nothing more than a piece of meat, rather than a living, breathing, feeling, thinking being who deserves respect and compassion.
- To all the people out there who buy and eat commercial meat even though they know how it is raised. Where is your humanity? How did you become so detached from it? You are also teaching your children that it is okay to eat meat that came from animals who suffered from the moment they were born until the moment they died. How do you justify this?
- My car. My lovely, adorable little Honda Fit, who seems to have a big boo boo right now and is putting a cramp into my cruising style. Honda’s are supposed to be 100% reliable. Bah Humbug.
And I end with the Hoorah…
This month’s Gratitude goes out to:
- All of the true “free range” farmers out there who allow their livestock to roam, exercise and experience a little bit of the good life until it’s time for them to feed others. At least those animals know happiness, even briefly.
- All of the hunters out there (including my husband and my Stepdaddy) who provide freezers full of meat for their families every year. The animals you take also live a good life and then are killed humanely and don’t suffer in the process (most of the time – even I realize that mistakes happen once in awhile, but most hunters do their best to rectify those mistakes as quickly as possible).
- The warranty on my Honda Fit!!!
My sister Christer for ordering me an apron with a picture of her face on it for my birthday. Why wouldn’t I want to stare at her face every time I’m in the kitchen cooking ?
- My husband’s giggly laugh. It makes me laugh too, every time I hear it.
- Juno The Wonderdog. He’s always happy, never complains (even if he’s hurt) and he’s a ray of sunshine 24/7. We have no idea what life was like before he came along!!
- My boudoir clients. Brave. Adventurous. Willing to do anything I ask. Your photos reflect your beauty, no matter what your size or shape. Thank you for trusting me. Now go out there and tell all your friends how great I am and how at ease you felt during your shoot…ha ha ha.
- My Mom. Been dead and gone ten years, but you are still here in my heart every day and I can still hear your crazy laugh when I least expect it. Thank you for sitting down with me in my dreams last night and helping me to work through yet another issue I’ve been struggling with. You are right, as per usual – some things you just have to learn how to accept and live with.
And, just because I can’t do a post without a pic, here’s one that Greg took of our boys the other day while they were enjoying a sunny afternoon of deer bone bliss! Juno looks all tough and stuff…
Stay thirsty my friends!